FINIA (Fraser Island Natural Integrity Alliance) is a collaboration of government agencies and non-government groups that share a mutual interest in protecting the natural integrity of Fraser Island.
“To protect Fraser Island’s natural integrity, ecological assets and unique beauty through collaborative management, community education and targeted rehabilitation works.”
FINIA was formed after the Fraser Island Weeds and Pests Workshop in late 2005.
The members of FINIA decided to collaborate on a number of issues that were threatening the future sustainability of Fraser Island’s natural environment.
The Alliance is a means to bring stakeholders together to implement common goals with respect to often differing organisational objectives, in a proactive and respectful manner.
FINIA has no membership fees and is composed only of groups committed to sustaining the natural integrity of Fraser Island together.
- Burnett Mary Regional Group
- The Butchulla People
- Conservation Volunteers Australia
- Cooloola Coastcare Association Incorporated
- Fauna and Flora International
- Fraser Coast Regional Council
- Fraser Island Association
- Fraser Island Defenders Organization
- Happy Valley Community Association Incorporated
- Lower Mary River Land & Catchment Care Group
- National Parks Association of Queensland
- Orchid Beach Progress Association
- Queensland Government
- Sandy Cape Lighthouse Conservation Association
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- Wide Bay Burnett Environment Council
FINIA helps foster cooperation between members to achieve a better outcome for Fraser Island. While most of FINIA’s early focus was addressed towards controlling invasive weeds, FINIA’s role has expanded to monitoring and education to elicit wider public support for FINIA’s vision.